By Kay Raypholtz – THE VILLAGE REPORTER
The Montpelier Board of Education bid farewell to fellow board member Gail Dick at the meeting on December 11, 2013, and also recognized two young men for their good behavior and cheerful attitudes in the classroom. Gail Dick was presented with a plaque along with generous thanks from Principal Connie Graham and Superintendent Jamison Grime for serving the district these past six years. Chris Wurm will take her seat in January.
Recognized for a Student Achievement award by Mrs. Minor was 5th grade student Dylan Eiteniear. His teacher said that he was nominated because he was always a good helper and that he always volunteers to help in the classroom. Gavin Zyjewski also received a Student Achievement award. He was recognized by his teacher Mrs. Martin for being hard working, kind and polite, and for making good choices.
In her report, Elementary/Middle School Principal Connie Graham said that 2nd graders heard a presentation on Veteran’s Day by Cindy Shoup’s daughter-in-law who had recently returned from serving in Afghanistan. Graham said that the school had a lot of visitors during Buddy Day. They ate lunch with the students, and visited the Book Fair. The Book Fair was very successful this year, raising over $6000 in new books for the school.
Junior High/High School Principal Su Thorp reported that there have been many musical performances lately, including concerts from the Jazz Band and performances by Locomotion. She said that the Junior High concert had brought in a full crowd. For Buddy Week, the Science Olympiad held a bake sale, which proved successful, raising over $1200 for their project. She noted that Christmas break would soon be here, after which exams will be held. She said that they were considering scheduling exams before Christmas in the future.
Following the treasurer Abby Sharp’s report, the board voted to approve the financial statements and investments for November 2013, including
a) Cash Reconciliation
c) Investment Report
d) Financial Report
e) General Fund Revenues & Expenditures Report
f) Fund Summaries
g) Check Register
The board voted to accept the following donations:
From Montpelier Area Foundation to the Jazz Band 100.00
From Montpelier Area Chamber of Commerce to the Band 25.00
From the Class of ’58 to The District (in memory of William Stahl and John Dancer) 80.00
From the Alumni Reunion to the District (to be used for locomotive repairs) 230.00
From Owen’s Electric to the Athletic Department (for parts and labor for portable railroad crossing sign) 4,713.27
The board noted that the portable railroad crossing is the one that has been seen at recent football games.
The Consent Agenda items for the month of December were approved. This concerned:
Employment / Certified Staff:
1) Barbara Turner’s move to Bachelor Degree +30 for the 2013-2014 school year.
2) Charlene Johnson as the JV girls’ basketball coach for the 2013-2014 school year.
3) Add Willian Nirote to the substitute teacher list for the 2013-2014 school year.
1) Approved the resignation of Tashia Thompson as a 3-hour bus driver effective November 30, 2013.
2) Added Tashia Thompson to the substitute bus driver list for the 2013-2014 school year.
3) Added Robert Shaffer to the substitute bus driver list for the 2013-2014 school year.
4) Employed Kaitlyn Tingle as a 3-hour bus driver effective November 25, 2013.
5) Added Benaiah Harris to the substitute cafeteria list for the 2013-2014 school year.
6) Added Sandra Jackson to the substitute aid list for the 2013-2014 school year.
In other business, the board:
1) Approved the resolution proclaiming January 2014 as School Board Recognition Month
2) Approved to schedule the Organizational meeting for January 14, 2014 at 4:45 p.m. with the regular meeting immediately following.
3) Approved the Board of Education meeting schedule for 2014.
4) Re-appointed Kay Cox as school appointee to the Montpelier Village Park Board.
The board adjourned with no executive session. The next regular meeting of the Montpelier Board of Education will be held on January 14, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. in the band room.
Kay Raypholtz may be reached at email@example.com
© 2013 – 2016, Forrest Church. All rights reserved.