Today in Williams County history (February 23, 1896, 122 years ago): The former Bryan Methodist Episcopal Church at the southwest corner of Beech and Butler streets was dedicated.
This house of worship was designed by architect R.C. Loos of Philadelphia, Pa., and was described as “severely gothic” in design. Its cornerstone was laid July 18, 1895, and the church was formally dedicated February 23, 1896.
The building was constructed by local contractors Parcher, Crawford and Kensinger at a cost of $14,000. The congregation met in the structure until the new Wesley United Methodist Church on Center Street was completed in 1969 at a cost of nearly $1 million.
The First Baptist congregation worshiped in the facility from 1970 to 2005.
The historic structure is now home to Father John’s Brewing Company.
This postcard, postmarked in 1909, is from the Kevin Maynard collection–Courtesy of the Williams County, Ohio, Local History Exchange.
© 2018, Forrest Church. All rights reserved.