This two-story brick building was constructed east of the alley on the south side of the 100 block of Bryan’s East High Street circa 1914, replacing a wooden frame building.
The structure housed Harry Huffman’s Motor Service until 1936 and the Gleason restaurant and garage from 1936 to 1941. In 1941 Ford Greek moved into the building and operated a service station and auto salesroom for more than 30 years. The building’s second floor housed the Palace Bowling Alleys from 1937 until 1963, when Sam LaMantia converted the space into the Attic youth center.
The structure was purchased by the City of Bryan on March 1, 1971, for $65,000. Plans to renovate the building into a community center met with opposition and were rejected by council. On December 26, 1973 demolition of the building began. The site now serves as a municipal parking lot.
This circa 1950 photograph was taken looking south from the alley west of the Williams County Public Library’s Bryan branch. Note the Pet Milk Company tanker truck in front of Greek’s building.
This vintage image is from a slide taken by the late Eldon Smith of Bryan–Courtesy of the Williams County, Ohio, Local History Exchange.
© 2018, The Village Reporter and/or The Associated Press. All rights reserved.