The Edon FFA Chapter continues to grow and excel this year with one hundred FFA members who are dedicated to developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success.
Over the last year, students have been very involved in the Edon Community. Some traditions that the chapter has upheld include running the sausage sandwich stand at home football games, Port-A-Pit chicken barbeque during Edon Days, participating in the Edon Days Parade, hosting American Red Cross Blood Drives and hosting a community breakfast. Our chapter has also developed new community service activities, such as conducting a penny drive for the Williams County Humane Society and donating over five hundred canned goods to our local food bank during FFA Week.
Members of the Edon FFA Chapter were very busy this past year with Career Development Events as well. We not only had members participate at the sub-district and district level, we also had several state level winners. Our Grain Merchandising Team placed second in the state of Ohio last year, with Jordan Winebernner placing first individually. Paige Schaffter competed in the State Advanced Prepared Public Speaking contest and our Novice Parliamentary Procedure team qualified for the state contest again this year.
Hundreds of Edon students have experienced and enjoyed the variety of programs FFA has to offer and have earned awards and accolades for their efforts. To date, twenty-eight students have achieved their American FFA Degrees and eighty-five their State FFA Degrees. This past year we also had four students compete for proficiency awards in recognition of their Supervised Agricultural Experience programs. At the district level, Preston Thiel placed second and Hayden Runyan placed third in Turf Grass Management; Paige Schaffter placed second in Vegetable Production and Carley Muehlfeld placed third in Forage Production.
Although many of our members do not live on a farm, FFA gives them the opportunity to learn more about our agriculture-based community. All of our students get involved in the experience whether they have grown up on a farm or not because it teaches them leadership skills and helps them better prepare for their futures. We have had many of our students go to college after graduation for an agricultural major due to their participation in the FFA chapter. We know that none of what we do would be possible without the unselfish contributions of so many individuals throughout our community. Our chapter is incredibly grateful for all the support and assistance that allows us to achieve such high levels of excellence each year.
Edon FFA Chapter Activities
Throughout the year, members of the Edon FFA Chapter participate in a variety of educational opportunities and recreational activities both within the community and across the area. Highlights since February 2016 include:
• District 1 Public Speaking CDE Honors: Creed – Aidan Muehlfeld, 3rd Place; Beginning Prepared – Emily Fox, 4th Place; Advanced Prepared – Paige Schaffter, 2nd Place
• State Advanced Prepared Public Speaking CDE Honors – Paige Schaffter
• Hosting Williams County Adult Education Classes – January through March
• 77th Annual Edon FFA Parent and Member Banquet
• Hosting the 17th Annual Daddy-Daughter Dance at Edon Northwest Local Schools
• Sponsoring American Red Cross Blood Drives at Edon Northwest Local Schools
• 2nd Place Turf Grass Management Proficiency Award – Preston Thiel
• 3rd Place Turf Grass Management Proficiency Award – Hayden Runyan
• 2nd Place Vegetable Production Proficiency Award – Paige Schaffter
• 3rd Place Forage Production Proficiency Award – Carley Muehlfeld
• 2016 State FFA Degrees – Levi Brandt, Evan Fisk, Preston Klingler, Carley Muehlfeld, Paige Schaffter, Hayden Runyan, Samantha Trausch, Jordan Winebernner
• 2016 State FFA Convention Talent Show and Choir Participant – Crista Wortkoetter
• 2016 State FFA Band Participants – Evan Fisk, Emily Fox, Naomi Hickman
• 2016 Ohio FFA Officer Candidate – Paige Schaffter
• State Reporter’s Gold Rating Award – Evan Fisk
• State Secretary’s Gold Rating Award – Crista Wortkoetter
• 2nd Place Honors – State Grain Merchandising Team
• 1st Place Individual State Grain Merchandising CDE – Jordan Winebernner
• 6th Place Honors – State Agricultural Cooperatives Team
• 15th Place Honors – State Farm Business Management Team
• 27th Place Honors – State Greenhand Quiz Team
• Ford Trucks/Built Ford Tough FFA Scholarship Program – Carley Muehlfeld and Crista Wortkoetter each received $1000 scholarships
• FFA Camp Muskingum – Five members attended
• FFA Officer Retreat at Chain O’Lakes State Park
• Sausage Sandwich Sales at home football games
• Chicken Barbeque Fundraiser during Edon Heritage Days Festivities
• Edon Heritage Days Parade Entry – 1st Place Float
• Exhibiting livestock and shop projects at the Williams County Fair
• 4th Place Honors – District 1 Urban Soils Team
• 10th Place Honors – District 1 Rural Soils Team
• 14th Place Honors – District 1 Dairy Cattle Team
• 2016 American FFA Degrees – Kyle Long, Garrett Trausch
• District 1 Job Interview CDE Honors: 6th Place/Division 1 – Riley Bloir; 9th Place/Division 2 – Naomi Hickman; 5th Place/Division 3 – Emily Fox; 3rd Place/Division 4 – Paige Schaffter
• Hosting a Veterans Day Breakfast for the Edon Community
• Serving assistants at the Annual Edon Farmers Cooperative Stockholders Meeting
• 1st Place Honors – County Advanced Parliamentary Procedure Team
• 1st Place Honors – County Novice Parliamentary Procedure Team
• 4th Place Honors – District 1 Advanced Parliamentary Procedure Team
• 1st Place Honors – District 1 Novice Parliamentary Procedure Team
• Gold Rating – State Novice Parliamentary Procedure Team
© 2017, The Village Reporter and/or Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.