Edon Village Council approved the purchase of a new police vehicle during its regular monthly meeting held Monday, March 18, 2013 in Council Chambers. Mayor Darlene Burkhardt called the evening session to order with Councilors Roxana Nester, Lamar Kline, Duane Thiel, Dick Chapin, Chuck Bidwell, Fiscal Officer Heidi Bidwell and Solicitor Tom Thompson in attendance; not answering roll was Councilor Sam Steffes.
[emember_protected custom_msg=”Full content protected for online subscribers. Purchase a one week subscription from the top menu bar for just $1.99 to read all online content (full access). Longer subscription plans are also available. Subscriptions cover our costs to attend local events; bringing forth Hometown News Coverage to our communities.”]
As part of the Police Department’s Vehicle Replacement Plan, Chief Tom Szymczak apprised Council it was time to replace the 2007 Crown Victoria to stay on its rotation schedule. Subsequent to their discussion regarding available opportunities to finance the vehicle, Council approved utilizing State Bid and Municipal Four-Year Lease Programs, appropriated Police Department Funds and proceeds from the sale of the Crown Victoria, to purchase a new squad car.
The 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe will be ordered through GMC before the April 3 financing deadline at a cost of $33,697; delivery of the fully outfitted and equipped vehicle is expected early this summer.
In other action, Council:
- Accepted the Minutes, Financial Report and Bills as presented.
- Set Saturday, June 8 as the annual “Spring Trash” pickup date.
- Heard Police Chief Tom Szymczak’s Service Log and Vehicle Report for February 2013. He also noted he and six others had attended a one-time, two-day School Safety training session in Edgerton; ongoing training by his Department continues on Monday nights.
- Learned from Street Department Superintendent Jim Brigle that Mohre’s would have the Tree Removal Project completed March 19; potholes throughout the eighteen-foot alley in Kaiser’s lot would be filled with stone to alleviate accidents and paperwork to renew his mosquito license had been filed.
- Voted to suspend the three-reading rule and approve Resolution 02-13 Opposing State Control of Municipal Income Tax Collections to reflect changes in House Bill 5 ~ Municipal Income Tax Uniformity Bill.
- Voted to rehire Taylor Muehlfeld as seasonal help with the Street and Park Departments and Brien Moore as part-time help with the Park Department.
- Was informed by Councilor Nester, council’s representative to the Edon Union Cemetery Board, that Steve Hobeck and Zach Shaffer had been hired as groundskeepers/maintenance workers.
- Voted to voice no objection to the recently approved liquor permit notice for Bombers Saloon and Steak House; the D3A License allows business to be conducted until 2:30 a.m.
- Learned the Safety Committee would meet Thursday, March 28 at 9:00 a.m.
- Was informed Ohio EPA would conduct a public meeting regarding the Williams County Landfill Vertical Expansion Project on Thursday, March 28 beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the Bryan Middle School Commons.
The next monthly meeting of the Edon Village Council will be held Monday, April 15, 2013 beginning at 7:00 p.m. in Village Chambers.[/emember_protected]
© 2013 – 2016, The Village Reporter and/or Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.