By: James Pruitt
THE VILLAGE REPORTER
Soccer has a chance to become a full varsity sport at Evergreen High School – if the coach can drum up enough interest among the students.
The Evergreen Local Board of Education approved an agreement Jan. 9 with Boys Club Soccer Coach Ned Monroe. The 3-year agreement is intended to improve clarity and avoid misinterpretation of Athletic or Board Policy and procedures pertaining to club and school-sanctioned sports, Superintendent Jim Wyse said.
The agreement provides an opportunity for Monroe to increase active participation in Club Soccer and become eligible for an administrative recommendation for consideration as a school-sponsored sport. The board will consider this after three years of club participation if requirements of the agreement are met.
The agreement is effective from Aug. 1, 2016 through July 31, 2019.
The board adopted the 2017-18 school calendar, as recommended by school administration and the calendar committee after receiving public input, to include the following significant dates:
Aug. 16 First Student Day
Sept. 1 NO SCHOOL – Waiver/Professional Day for Staff
Sept. 4 NO SCHOOL – Labor Day
Sept. 5 NO SCHOOL – Fair Day
Oct. 19 Two Hour Delay for Parent Teacher Conferences
Oct. 20 End of First Quarter
Nov. 22 – 24 NO SCHOOL – Thanksgiving Vacation
Dec. 22 End of First Semester
Dec. 23 – Jan. 5 NO SCHOOL – Christmas/New Year’s Vacation
Jan. 8 NO SCHOOL for students (Teacher Workday)
Jan. 9 First Day of Second Semester
Jan. 15 NO SCHOOL – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Feb. 16 NO SCHOOL for students (Teacher In-Service)
Feb. 19 NO SCHOOL– Presidents Day
March 16 End of Third Quarter
March 26 – 30 NO SCHOOL – Spring Break
May 24 End of Second Semester/Last Day (Dismiss 1-Hour Early)
May 25 Teacher Workday*
May 27 Senior Graduation Ceremony
May 28 NO SCHOOL – Memorial Day
Makeup Days (contingency days, if necessary): May 25, 29, 30, 31; June 1
Teacher Workday will be rescheduled on the weekday after the last makeup day, if necessary.
In other news:
The board received a letter of resignation from Pat Penrod, effective July 31 after 14 years with the district. (14 years at Evergreen).
“Her culinary skills for our children and staff will be missed,” Wyse said.
* The board approved the Five-Year Forecast and Debt Schedule as the tax budget for the Fiscal Year beginning July 1 (FY18). The tax budget is required to be filed with the Fulton County Auditor.
* The board stablished the Mark Basilius Public Service and Athletic Scholarship Fund and accepted an initial donation of $3,000 from Mark Basilius to establish it. One or more scholarships of $1,500 will be awarded each year to eligible Evergreen graduates.
Scholarship payments are to be made using both the principal and the interest earned on this fund.
* The board accepted the following donations:
* $25 from Josh and Kelly Martin to Evergreen SADD Club.
* $800 from Fulton Co. Pork Producers to Evergreen FFA.
* The board offered Sarah Roper a one-year limited teaching contract for the 2017-18 school year and to be placed on Column MA, Step 5, of the EEA Negotiated Agreement, pending receipt of all necessary documentation for employment.
The board discussed a report on bullying at the school and the academic plan.
The board’s next meeting will be 7 p.m. Feb. 13 in the Loren Pennington Learning Center.
James Pruitt may be reached at email@example.com
© 2017, The Village Reporter and/or Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.