Several students who excelled in science fairs were recognized at the March 27, Millcreek-West Unity Local Schools Board of Education meeting.
The Junior and Senior High School saw students earn honors at several events.
At the Ohio Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, Arleigh VanArsdalen was the top junior high presentation. Colleen Bell was the top high school presentation. Other students involved were Tayler Bleikamp, Hannah Riley, Jonnie Roth, Tyler Suboski, Chase Williams, Arianna Brown, Ethan Dunson, Sydni Rivers, and Quinn Smith.
Regional Science Fair superiors: (Junior High) Joe Reamsnyder (first place), Hannh Riley, and Arleigh VanArsdalen.
Regional Science Fair superiors: Colleen Bell (Qualified for GENIUS Olympiad in New York, and the International Engineering Energy Environment Science Fair in Houston, Texas.) Also recognized were Arianna Brown, Teryn Ganster, Caiden Miller, Sage Repp, Sydni Rivera, Benjamin Routhier, Abby Schaper, and Sam Shilling.
District Superiors (junior high qualifying for state) Stephanie Monacaleno and Hannah Riley.
District Superiors (senior high qualifying for state) Colleen Bell, Sydnie Rivera, Steven Riley, and Sam Shilling.
The boys basketball team was congratulated on a 23-2 season. The wins are A record for the program in a single season.
Quinn Smith was named second team All-Ohio in boys basketball. Smith is only the second boy to receive All-Ohio recognition.
Kindergarten screening for what ultimately will be the Class of 2030 is March 29. There are 38 students signed up and officials believe there are more still out there.
In other news:
The board approved or accepted:
– Extended medical leave for Shari Stough from May 12 through the end of the school year.
– Hiring Kendra Beck and James Roth as substitute teachers for the rest of the year.
– A kindergarten stipend of $150 for Lena Miller.
– A letter of resignation from John VanAusdale as technology coordinator.
– A donation of $25 from Tractor Supply Company in Bryan for the FFA.
– A donation of $1,400 from West Unity Lions Club for scholarships.