[emember_protected custom_msg=”Full content protected for online subscribers. Purchase a one week subscription from the top menu bar for just $1.99 to read all online content (full access). Longer subscription plans are also available. Subscriptions cover our costs to attend local events; bringing forth Hometown News Coverage to our communities.”]
While a complete listing of all activities and special events for the first weekend of August will be publicized shortly, here’s what local residents can look forward to during this annual community event running Friday, August 2; Saturday, August 3 and Sunday August 4.
Edon Days 2013 ~ “Looking back and beyond…..”
(Tentative overview ~ subject to change)
This year’s theme celebrates the Spirit of Service as demonstrated by the Edon Lions Club’s support and commitment to our community for the past sixty-one years.
Saturday Evening ~ July 27th
• Queens of Edon Pageant ~ Crowning of Miss Edon, Junior Miss Edon, Teen Miss Edon and Little Miss Edon (Edon Schools Auditeria ~ 6:00 p.m.; doors open to the general public at 5:15 p.m.)
Friday Evening ~ August 2nd
• Cruise-In; Street Dance; Train Ride to Hamilton; 4th Annual Edon Alumni Flag Football Game; Live entertainment at Bombers Saloon & Steakhouse
Saturday ~ August 3rd
• Fireman’s Breakfast; Sidewalk/Craft Sales; Food Concessions; “Day in the Parking Lot” ~ Edon Church of Christ; FFA Port-A-Pit Chicken; Co-Ed Slow Pitch Softball Tournament at Walz Park; Parade in Downtown Edon; Train Ride to Hamilton; Truck Pulls.
Sunday ~ August 4th
• Community Church Service; Edon Music Boosters Ice Cream Social; Train Ride to Hamilton
In other action, Chamber:
• Approved the minutes as presented; current financials were not available.
• Approved an advertising contract with WBNO for Edon Days 2013; in addition to on-air commercials promoting the event, a two-hour live remote during Saturday’s Fireman’s breakfast will publicize the weekend as well.
• Learned the Truck Pulls track had moved to its new location on State Route 49 (approximately one quarter of a mile south of the tracks); spectator parking will be near the storage units off Baylee Drive and at the former track site.
• Heard the Edon Boys Basketball Team would be sponsoring a Co-Ed Slow Pitch Softball Tournament fundraiser at Walz Park during Edon Days; local teams should contact Travis Arkwright (419-272-1049) for additional information.
• Agreed to donate five train tickets for WBNO promo giveaways the first week of July; five admissions to the Truck Pulls were also donated.
• Learned current Edon Chamber members continue to renew 2013 memberships.
• Authorized the purchase of one spool of LED roping for Christmas displays; funding was provided by a North Western Electric Co-Op, Inc. Grant specifically written for lighting improvements.
With all business addressed, the meeting was adjourned.
The next regular monthly meeting of the Edon Area Chamber of Commerce will be held Wednesday, July 30, 2013 beginning at 7:00 p.m. at the Edon Public Library.[/emember_protected]