Metamora officials have concerns about the feasibility study for an Eastern Fulton County Fire and EMS District.
The feasibility study would look the merits of forming a fire district amongst 10 entities on the east side of Fulton County. The idea was initiated by Swanton and Delta, Mayor Ken Wysong told the council March 6.
The council expressed concerns about the village helping to finance the study. The council discussed the potential if it did move to a joint district would villages such as Metamora and Lyons not enjoy the good response times.
If Fulton County Commissioners are reluctant to release revolving loan funds for the feasibility study, involved entities may be asked to fund the study. It is estimated to cost about $14,000 for the study. The county did release funding for the study and each entity’s share would be $675.
In other news:
Solicitor Alan Lehenbauer asked council how it wanted to move forward on the pool issue at 230 Shawnee. Owner Darin Hayes lives in Florida.
A new liner and set-up is quoted at $1,220. The cost of just the liner is $320. Council requested Lehenbauer send Hayes a letter to see what direction he would like to go. He was told to find out if Hayes wants the pool liner replaced and the pool put back up or if he wants to be compensated for the pool.
Cathy Mossing is waiting for time to lapse before transferring previous Park-O-Rama proceeds to the Village. She also discussed meeting with a tax attorney. Lehenbauer will check back into this.
Council member John Hudik brought up the village used to have a Park Board. The board was never disbanded but hasn’t met in years. Cathy Mossing and Cindy Pawlaczyk were on the board. They should be invited to the Park Planning meeting.
Hudik also asked if the village would have to pave new parking lots in the park to meet ADA standards. The rules on handicap accessibility were discussed. The village needs to ensure it has handicap parking available.
Wysong suggested spots for handicap parking be created on the north side of the ball diamond. To be discussed by the Park Planning Committee.
Anderzack-Pitzen (APC) made a $100 donation to the Easter Egg Hunt. With the Gleaners’ donation the village has a total of $400 donated.
The Lutheran Church offered to fill the eggs. Pastor Amanda has applied for a $250 grant for the event. Whatever she doesn’t spend she will turn over to the village for other Easter expenses.
The village has met the LMI threshold on Fulton Street: 52.2 percent for the CDBG grant. Poggemeyer has been asked to update the previous paving cost estimate for Fulton Street.
Also asked them if there were any possible additions of improvements that could be made to the project. Possibly add storm drains and/or sidewalks to the project.
Applications due to MVPO April 5.
• Twelve new holiday pole decorations have been delivered. All bulbs are LED.
• The DNR is stocking rainbow trout for free in many local area reservoirs. The trout will not live through the summer but primarily used for fishing derbies for kids to fish. Both Swanton and Delta are being stocked. The village has a call into the DNR. We may be too late for stocking this year. Lehenbauer said as it is for recreational use of the reservoir there isn’t a liability. Sue will pursue additional information.
• The Stapleton Insurance Renewal is $550 less than last year. Some of the coverage for the Water Plant has been removed. The village still carries liability coverage on it.
• Wysong spoke to Swanton’s Mayor Roth at the Mayors meeting about their sewer camera. She had no issue with Metamora using the camera.
• There is a CIC coming up the end of March.
• Park-O-Rama – The hot dog meal for the soccer teams were given a cost of $3. We may need to rethink the cost of the meal. Fiscal Officer Sue Clendenin has checked with Genevieve about performing in the afternoon at Park-O-Rama. She is available and would play three hours for $200. We should also check with other performers who may donate their musical talents. Next Park-O-Rama meeting scheduled for 7 p.m, March 22.
• Meeting with the EYA not set up yet. Still trying to make contact to confirm their next meeting. Would also like to see if they would take responsibility for upkeep of the batting cage in the park and cost to prep fields.
James Pruitt may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org