All members of the Montpelier Board of Education were present at the Tuesday, October 9, 2012 meeting. Several members of the government class were present.
SuAnn Thorp, principal for grades 7 – 12, reported that she had recently returned from the OASSA (Ohio Association of Secondary School Administration) conference. While there, participants covered topics such as teacher evaluation, and blended learning with online learning.
The school’s robotics club went on an outing to Put-in-Bay with robotics students from that area. The robotics class is a distance learning class in conjunction with the Stryker robotics class. Students learn via the computer, where both classrooms can be a virtual participant in each other’s classes.
On October 10, the juniors were taking a practice ACT test. Quiz bowls have formed and have already had a couple matches. The elementary school quiz bowl team will host a match on October 25.
A group of eight students will travel to Defiance College on October 24 to take part in a leadership conference.
Superintendent Jamie Grimes said that 3rd grade testing had been completed. Diagnostic tests in grade K – 3 had also been completed. These tests determine which students need more help in their reading skills. The school will then discuss reading improvement plans in order to have all students caught up in their reading skills by grade 3.
Deb Clum congratulated student Cadey Hillard for working hard and being an all-around good student and role model. She is a member of Mrs. Martin’s 4th grade class.
After approving the minutes for the last regular meeting, the board approved financial statements and investments for September 2012 as presented. The all accepted donations from the following: $180 from the Montpelier Athletic Boosters to the volleyball team; and $135 for prizes from the Montpelier Civic League to the National Geography Bee.
The board also approved the Five Year Forecast for submission to the Ohio Department of Education. This action allows the district to look five years into the future to see if they are still going to be able to have the finances that they need to continue to fund the district and to plan their budget accordingly.
The following consent agenda items were approved for certified staff:
• Approved Family Medical Leave for Cindy Sutter from October 29, 2012 to February 1, 2013.
• Approved medical leave for Cindy Sutter from February 4 to February 22, 2013.
• Approved the resignation of Cindy Sutter, effective February 25, 2013.
• Approved graduate hours for Dawn Smith.
• Approved Jennifer Carpenter’s maternity leave beginning approximately December 3, 2012, through approximately February 11, 201.
• Approved adding Sarah Bell and Stephanie Kaiser to the substitute teacher’s list for the 2012 – 2013 school year.
The following supplemental contracts were approved for the 2012 – 2013 school year:
• Ryan Bonitz 2012, Summer Band
• Taylor Muehlfeld, Head Boys Basketball
• Mark Huffman, JV Boys Basketball
• Dawn Smith, Head Girls Basketball
• Chad Bishop, Varsity Assistant Girls Basketball
• Charlene Johnson, JV Girls Basketball
• Troy Roth, Head Wrestling
• Timothy Ford, Varsity Assistant Wrestling
• Benjamin Lupo, HS Musical
• Matthew Kaullen, Robotics Club
• Laura Frey, Spanish Club
• Benjamin Lupo, Co-5th Grade Musical
• Rosemary Dockery, Co-5th Grade Musical
• Jennifer Martin, LPDC-Co Chairman
• Kacie Vitek, LPDC-Co Chairman
• Miranda Moor, LPDC Member
The board approved Lorielle Bible, Marion Coon, William McKinney, and Damion Zimmerman to the substitute teacher list for the 2012 – 2013 school year.
The board also:
• Approved graduate hours for E. Bess Cooley
• Approved Trent Shoup as Technology Support Assistant at $10 with no benefits, not to exceed 500 hours for the 2012 – 2013 school year.
The following supplemental contracts for classified staff were approved for the 2012 – 2013 school year:
• Richard Reucher, Varsity Assistant Boys Basketball
• Steven Lamberson, JH Boys Basketball
• Michael Bumb, JH Boys Basketball
• Travis Smith, Varsity/JV Girls Basketball Volunteer
• Theresa Van Dyke, JV Girls Basketball Volunteer
• Katherine Lamberson, JH Girls Basketball
• Tiffany Helle,r JH Girls Basketball
• Matthew Dye, Junior High Wrestling
• Jeremy Suffel, JH Wrestling
• Cody Lamberson, Wrestling Volunteer
• Anthony Mercer, Wrestling Volunteer
• Ravean Risk, OWA cafeteria
• Ashley Shaffer, OWA cafeteria
• Reece Stantz, OWA cafeteria
• Dale Gearhart, Varsity Girls Basketball Volunteer.
After determining that there was no reason for the board to go into an executive session, the meeting was adjourned.
© 2012 – 2016, Forrest Church. All rights reserved.