By: Kay Raypholtz
The North Central Board of Education met for the final meeting on August 19, 2013, before the start of the new school year. Students will be welcomed back to school on Monday, August 26, for the 2013-2014 year.
The consent agenda was approved, and included the following:
1. Minutes from the July meeting.
2. Financial statements and investments from July.
3. Employments: Sarah Luthy – Junior High/High School Math, Rene Roesener – Crossing Guard – (shared). One year supplemental contracts held by certified employees: Tana Kappen – Sophomore Class Advisor (shared), Amanda Prince – Freshman Cheerleading Advisor, John Shell – Junior High Girls Basketball (8th). One year supplemental contracts held by classified employees: John Waterston – Freshman Boys Basketball Coach, Assistant Varsity Coach. Denise VanDeVoorde – Sophomore Class Advisor (shared).
4. Van Driver’s meeting transportation requirements for 2013-2014 school year.
5. Agreement for services of the Wood County Juvenile Detention Center on an as needed basis for the 2013-2014 school year at $60 per school day.
6. Elementary and Junior High/High School Staff Handbooks for the 2013-2014 school year.
In his Principal’s Report, Elementary/Middle School Principal Paul Jones gave an update on the number of kindergarteners beginning school this year. As of the day of the meeting, 48 children were enrolled, with three yet to be screened. This number includes those in pre-K. The Student-Parent Handbook is in the process of being printed. The schedule of assignments is complete, and co-teachers will help meet the math needs in grades 4, 5, and 6. An education consultant will be evaluating the schools math programs, and will be looking at students’ test scores. Jones reported that summer school had been completed last Friday for the 23 students who participated. He also noted staff changes.
For the high school, Principal Tim Rettig said that teachers will be receiving their Teacher’s Handbook. There will be meeting and presentation concerning the laptops that will be distributed to students in grades 7 -12 during the open house on Wednesday, August 21 in the Junior High Gymnasium, so it is important for students and their parents to attend, as the laptops will be handed out during that time. The athletic programs are up and running and there have been some scrimmages. Jones hopes to see a lot of people coming to watch the students play this year.
The board approved the following appropriation additions as follows:
Title 1 $91,315.93
Special Education $6,093.56
Title II-A $27,803.35
Total Funds $246,411.03
The board approved sending a delegate and alternate to the 2013 OSBA (Ohio School Board Association) Annual Business meeting held in Columbus, Ohio, on November 10th through the 13th. Homer Hendricks will be the delegate with Shane Martin serving as alternate.
The board went into executive session for the purpose of discussing personnel and building issues. No action was taken following their return to open session.
Kay Raypholtz may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org