The North Central Schools Board of Education convened on December 23, 2013, for their last meeting of the calendar year. After going into an executive session at the beginning of the meeting to discuss personnel, the board returned to the regular session to hear principal reports.
High School Principal Tim Rettig said that exams went well. Problem Based Learning is scheduled for the week of January 13-17, 2014. The Homecoming assembly will be on February 13, and the Homecoming basketball game will be played on February 15, 2014. He also gave updates to the athletic schedules.
Elementary School Principal Paul Jones was unable to attend, but sent a report to be shared with the board. Test results for the 3rd Grade Achievement exams are back, and of the 51 tested, 25 passed, with a success rate of 49%. These tests will be repeated for those who need to pass before advancing to the 4th grade. The Kindergarten through second grade musical was a big success. Jones thanked music directors Mr. House and Mr. Luthy and all the children and parents who contributed and performed. They had a large turn out from the community. The Williams County Spelling Bee will be held Tuesday, January 28, at 6:30 p.m. at the Millcreek-West Unity (Hilltop) School. Representing North Central are sixth-graders Trystan Yoder and Emilie Eustace. There are 52 students in the before/after school 21st Century program. They are planning for next semester, and will re-apply for grant money in February or March. The end of the nine week grading period is January 17.
The board voted to approve the consent agenda. Among those items approved are the following:
1) Minutes from the November meeting
2) Financial statements and investments from November.
3) Employments for one year supplemental contracts held by certified employees:
Melinda Fugate Co-Head Track Coach (shared)
Jared Stewart Co-Head Track Coach (shared)
4) Resignation of Kathleen Hellard, Cafeteria, effective November 22, 2013.
5) North Central School Calendar for the 2014-2015 school year. The start date for the year will be August 20, 2014.
For the treasurer’s report, the board approved an Appropriation Addition from the Rotary to the General Fund in the amount of $157.00. The Fiscal Year 2013 Audit is completed and went very well this year. An Audit Committee Meeting will be scheduled for some time in January.
Included in the Superintendent’s Report from Ken Boyer were the following items:
1) Policy/Bylaw Revision and the first reading of the proposed revision, which is their largest review to date due to the legislature passing new laws.
2) Set a time for the organizational meeting for the North Central Board of Education for Monday, January 6, 2014, at 7:45 a.m. in the Board office.
3) Appointed Shawn Martin as President Pro-Tem until a president is elected at the January 2014 organizational meeting.
4) Building Project Update. The Board is awaiting a decision from the state before proceeding.
5) A resolution requesting the Fiscal Officer to certify maximum security of bonds. This gives information to the county auditor, and sets the millage amount for a proposed bond issue. This resolution does not put the issue on the ballot.
6) A resolution declaring the necessity of a bond issue and of tax levy, certifying the same to the County Auditor and Board of Elections, and submitting the combined question to the electors of the School District. This resolution is very specific about the amount and the interest rate for the bond, and will be decided in conjunction with bond and legal counsel.
Both resolutions were passed with the intent to move forward quickly once the state approves the building project for a new high school.
The board also discussed the possibility of appointing a non-voting student liaison to the board. The purpose of this would be to hear more about topics of interest to students, and student liaison would discuss them with the high school principal prior to meetings. To add such a position would require a by-law change. The board decided to discuss this further at the next meeting.
The next meeting of the North Central Board of Education is scheduled for Monday, January 20, 2014, at 6:30 p.m. in the band room.
© 2014 – 2016, The Village Reporter and/or Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.