The North Central Board of Education met for its organizational meeting on Monday, January 14, 2013, at 7:30 a.m. The first regular meeting of the new year began directly after the conclusion of the organizational meeting.
The first order of business was to elect the Board of Education President. Shane Martin continues his duties as president. Craig McKarns was voted Vice-President. Meeting times will continue to be held on the third Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. in the Music Room. This Monday’s meeting was held on a different day due to the usual day falling on Martin Luther King Day this year. The meeting was held in the morning to better accommodate board members. Compensation for board members remains at $125 per meeting.
Jim Fee and Craig McKarns were appointed to serve on the Building and Grounds Committee. The Audit Committee will be manned by Leigh Boothman and Shane Martin.
Both will also serve as Legislative Liaisons. The Student Achievement Liaison is Homer Hendricks, and Tim Rettig will serve as Superintendent Pro-Tem.
The following authorizations were approved:
- Treasurer to secure cash advances from county auditor when funds become available and payable to the district.
- Treasurer to pay all invoices within the limits of the appropriations as invoices are received.
- Treasurer to invest active and inactive funds in the most productive rates.
- Treasurer to post interest to the Bond Retirement Fun d and the Permanent Improvement Fund.
- To authorize the Superintendent, during periods when the board is not in session, to make offers of employment directly to candidates for either teaching or non-teaching positions on behalf of the Board, and to acknowledge acceptance of such offers on behalf of the board, subject to subsequent vote of ratification by the Board; provided however, that upon ratification by the Board, the employment shall be deemed effective as of the date and time of the employee’s acceptance of the Superintendent’s offer.
- To authorize the Superintendent, on behalf of the Board, to accept resignations which have been submitted by employees during the times when the Board is not in session, subject to ratification by the Board; provided however, that upon ratification by the Board, such resignations shall be deemed effective as of the date and time of the Superintendent’s acceptance.
- Superintendent as purchasing agent for the North Central Local School District.
- Superintendent to authorize attendance at conferences and meetings at staff members’ requests.
- Attendance at the following meetings:
- Local, district, state and national meetings for members of the Board of Education
- Local, district, state and national meetings for the Treasurer
- Local, district, state and national meetings for the Superintendent including recruitment and certification meetings.
- Local, district, state and national meetings for the principals including recruitment meetings.
The organizational meeting was adjourned and the board went into its regular meeting. After approval of the meeting’s agenda, Superintendent Ken Boyer recognized the board member for their hard work in 2012, and handed each a Certificate of Appreciation, thanked them for their time.
The board approved the consent agenda which included:
- The minutes of the December 2012 meeting.
- The school calendar for the 2013-2014 school year. Staff had earlier voted to begin the calendar on August 26, 2013, and end on June 4, 2014.
- Financial statements.
Elementary Principal Paul Jones report was brief. He reminded the board that the school would be hosting the County Spelling Bee on January 22 at 6:30 p.m.
Junior High/High School Principal Tim Rettig said that the computers for the Pilot Eagle Enterprise 1 to 1 Laptop Initiative had been purchased, and that they would be ready for distribution the last week of January. There will be a parent meeting on January 31. Parents will have to meet with Rettig before their children can receive a laptop, and they will have to pay a $20 fee and sign documents.
Rettig added that two weeks from now would be Homecoming week, and that they will be holding an assembly that week.
Both principals have met with the sheriff and with three Pioneer Police Department officers to create a document on their safety plan.
The board congratulated the athletic department and teams for a “great weekend” for the Eagles.
Superintendent Ken Boyer reported that the Board of Education will meet in executive session on January 22 to discuss security issues. The meeting was then adjourned.
The next regular meeting of the North Central School Board will is scheduled to be held on February 18, 2013. The public is welcome to attend, and should call the school to confirm the date and time.
© 2013 – 2016, Forrest Church. All rights reserved.