For many Ohioans, autumn represents pumpkin-carving, the harvest season, bonfires and corn mazes. Spotting the first glimpse of fall color – seeing the leaves changing to strong reds, vivid yellows and bold oranges – is a favorite fall activity. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) will be featuring several opportunities to help people find the best locations to see fall color this year.
“Autumn is a great time to explore the outdoors and experience everything Ohio has to offer,” said ODNR Director James Zehringer. “Fall provides the perfect opportunity for everyone to explore our beautiful state while enjoying the colors of the season.”
Ohio is expected to once again enjoy a beautifully colored fall season. Currently, ODNR Fall Color Forester Casey Burdick expects northern Ohio leaves to reach their peak color the second week of October, central Ohio the third week and southern Ohio the fourth week.
People interested in finding out where the most captivating leaves will be throughout the upcoming fall color season should check out fallcolor.ohiodnr.gov, ODNR’s premier guide to Ohio’s fall color season.
This website includes:
- Weekly color updates and information to help plan a fall color adventure.
- Weekly videos from Burdick that will highlight color hot spots around the state and provide information about some of Ohio’s 100-plus tree species.
- Links for fall activities, scenic road trips and more, including unique overnight accommodations at Ohio State Parks.
Looking for some great fall getaway ideas? TourismOhio has numerous itinerary ideas and a listing of attractions at discoverohio.com under their Autumn Adventures feature.
ODNR encourages people to take fall color photos and upload them to social media using ODNR’s hashtag, #ohiofallcolor2013. Follow @ohiodnr on Twitter and Ohio Department of Natural Resources on Facebook to see more fall color photos.
Check out fun events happening this weekend at Ohio State Parks:
- Fall Festival, Grand Lake St. Marys State Park (NW Ohio) – Sept. 20-21 at the campground. Our first-ever fall festival features crafts, games for kids, food vendors and much more. For more information, call 419-394-3611.
- Mountain Heritage Campout, Tar Hollow State Park (SE Ohio) – Sept. 20-21. Cross-cut saw, horseshoe and black powder shoot contests, children’s games, crafts and a square dance. To learn more, call 740-887-4818.
- Outdoor Adventure Weekend, Pike Lake State Park (SW Ohio) – Sept. 21. Canoeing, fishing, disc golf and a hunter education course (must register for course). For more information, call 740-493-2212.
- Farmers Market, Lake Milton State Park (NE Ohio) – Sept. 21, 10 a.m. Enjoy a farmers market at the Lake Milton Amphitheater every Saturday through October. Call the park office for additional information at 330-654-4989.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.
© 2013 – 2016, The Village Reporter and/or Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.