A celebration of Christmas will be held at the historic Powers Church Sunday, November 25 at 3:00 PM. The public is invited to join in the service that will include singing traditional carols and reading the Christmas story in the King James Version. Violin music will introduce and follow the program.
Participants in the service as either readers or musicians include Greg and Kathy Aldrich, Brenda Mauer, Nadina Prince, and the Buehrer Sisters. Although there will be no heat in the building, hot cider and cookies will be provided after the 30-minute service. Everyone is invited to dress warmly, bring a lap blanket, and enjoy stepping back over 100 years to begin the Christmas season by celebrating the true meaning of Christmas.
The Powers Church is a local historic site listed on the national Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1876 and has been restored to it’s original condition by a committee of people interested in the historical preservation of the building. Historic features include the original oak floors, wainscoting, wood stoves, pump organs and 1880’s wallpaper. Kerosene lamps will provide the lighting for the service.
Three summer services are also held at the church on the fourth Sunday evening of June, July, and August. Area pastors provide devotions at the services and area groups share musical talents. A free will offering is taken at each of the services to help further restoration of the church. The church is located nine miles east of Angola, just north of US 20 on Old Road 1. For more information call 668-5908 or 665-5498.