Edon Village Council approved replacing the stoplight at the center of town during its regular monthly meeting held Monday, April 15, 2013 in Council Chambers. Mayor Darlene Burkhardt called the evening session to order with Councilors Lamar Kline, Dick Chapin, Chuck Bidwell, Sam Steffes, Fiscal Officer Heidi Bidwell and Solicitor Tom Thompson in attendance; not answering roll were Councilors Roxana Nester and Duane Thiel.
In recent years, Scott Noble of the City of Bryan has assisted in maintaining the stoplight located at the intersection of State Routes 34 and 49. Taking into consideration current routine-care practices, purchasing a new light could be deemed more cost-effective for the Village at this time. With replacement and installation costs quoted at $8,835.60, Council ultimately went on to approve the capital outlay purchase, tabling the establishment of an on-going maintenance schedule ~ including the company’s annual inspection ~ until additional information is available.
In other action, Council:
- Accepted the Minutes, Financial Report and Bills as presented.
- Heard Police Chief Tom Szymczak’s Service Log and Vehicle Report for March 2013. He also noted golf cart registration/renewals were underway; zoning code violations were being addressed; he’d participated in the Officer Phil Program and next month, would be assisting with staff training at Edon Northwest Local Schools as outlined in their District Safety Plan.
- Approved Street Superintendent Jim Brigle’s request to purchase a new air compressor ($499) and toolbox ($300) for the department. He also noted the Village’s 1991 backhoe (with 6100 hours) would need to be replaced in the future.
- Welcomed Mrs. Brenda Parrish, Second Grade teacher at Edon Northwest Local Schools; she excitedly shared with Council her students’ very interesting responses to Business Ideas ~ If We Had the Money to Invest.
- Approved hiring J & R Floor Care of Bryan to clean, strip and wax the Edon Community Building flooring ($3349.72); work should be completed in two-three days.
- Was informed by Solicitor Thompson a draft regarding accessory structure updates would be readied for the Planning Commission’s review.
- Noted the Records Commission needed to meet before the June session.
- Voted to enter into Executive Session to discuss possible employment; no action was expected to be taken.
The next monthly meeting of the Edon Village Council will be held Monday, May 20, 2013 beginning at 7:00 p.m. in Village Chambers.
© 2013 – 2016, The Village Reporter and/or Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.