The Board of Education for Montpelier Exempted Village Schools convened on April 8, 2014, for their latest regular meeting. It was with delight that Board member Deb Clum was able to present student Kimme Engels with a $100 Spelling Bee Award. This award is given by the Denver Bechtol family in memory of the late attorney, and Miss Engels was this year’s winner of the school spelling bee.
Principal Su Thorp, grades 7-12, was attending the Bowling Green Job Fair, and was unable to be present to give her report. Connie Graham, principal for grades K-6, said that the staff and students were getting ready for the OAA tests later this month. Students have completed the Iowa Basic tests and the CoGAT tests.
In her report, Treasurer Abby Sharp gave her report, and the Board approved the financial statements and investments for March 2014. They also voted to accept donations from the following: From Bryan Youth Basketball League to the Athletic Department-$150; from CK Technologies to the Robitics club-$1500; from St. Paul’s United Methodist Church to the Jazz Band-$50.00. from Kannel Superior Agency-$100, and from Rings Pharmacy-$150 to the Class of 2015; from the Montpelier Athletic Boosters to Softball-$1760; from the Williams County Trustees Association to Locomotion-$50; and from Shopko to the Permanent Improvement Fund-$2000.
1. The Board approved administrative contracts for certified staff for the 2014-2015 school year:
- 5 year limited contract
John Dalyrymple – School Psychologist
- 1 year limited contract
James Lee – Technology Director
For Certificated Staff:
- Approved graduate hours for Khrysta Coleman and Christina Minor for the 2013-2014 school year.
2. Certified contracts for the 2014-2015 school year:
- Continuing contract:
Timothy Ford Miranda Oates Lance Thorp
- 2 year limited contract:
David Bauer Blayne Bible Kaitlin Brancheau
Steven Brancheau Anthony Coleman Raya Fackler
Meredith Ford Brooke Gearig Matthew Kaullen
Jennifer Kustec Megan Lamberson Garrett Leininger
Kaylee Meyer Taylor Meuhlfeld Lester Orndorff
Sara Stobbe Sarah Torres Leslieann Wheeler
3. Approved a maternity leave for Miranda Oates from March 17, 2014, until the final student day.
4. Approved graduate hours for Stephanie Friend for the 2013-2014 school year.
5. Added Sean Slee and Casey Wilcox to the substitute teacher list for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Approved the administrative contracts for the 2014-2015 school year:
- 2 year limited contract for Diann Sanders-Transportation Director.
- Approved the following classified contracts for the 2014-2015 school year:
- Continuing contracts: Jason Brandt and Cody Walsh
- 2 year limited contracts:
Alfred Goebel Scott Goodnight Fara Neff
Debra Stefanelli Kaitlyn Tingle Elaine Woodward
- 1 year limited contract:
Cathy Bowman Kathy Lehman Trent Shoup
- Approved a medical leave for Jody Clark from April 7, 2014, through May 2, 2014.
- Approved the resignation of Chad Fitzenrider effective April 3, 2014.
- Added Chad Fitzenrider to the substitute bus driver list for the 2014-2014 school year.
- Approved a medical leave for Julia Nofziger beginning May 6, 2014 through June 3, 2014.
- Approved Linda Cummings as a 3-hour per day bus driver effective April 9, 2014, through the end of the 2013-2014 school year and for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Added Kaitlyn Tingle to the substitute aide list for the 2013-2014 school year.
The Board approved 15 revised-replaced-new policies, and 26 new-revised-replaced Administrative Guidelines. They also approved 16 new-revised-replaced-deleted Forms.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved the Junior High Science Olympiad trip for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Approved the SERS employer pick-up of employee contributions for the technology director.
- Approved a memorandum of understanding with the Montpelier Education Association for the revised 2013-2014 School Calendar.
- Approved the 2014 National Robotics Challenge in Marion, Ohio, from April 10, 2014 through April 12, 2014.
- Approved the 2014 National Archery Tournament in Louisville, Kentucky, on May 8 or May 9, 2014.
Legislative Liaison Cristopher Wurm reported that as of March 26, 2014, House Bill 416 addressing calamity days was signed by Governor Kasich. He also noted that House Bill 107 had been passed. This bill concerns high school internships, and gives businesses incentives to employ high school juniors and seniors in internship roles that give students the opportunity to explore career options. Wurm said that he felt that this bill would give students the chance to gain a real understanding of what skills are needed and the importance of additional education, whether academic or technical training programs.
The Montpelier Board of Education holds their meetings during the second Tuesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. The next meeting is scheduled for May 13, 2014.
© 2014 – 2016, Forrest Church. All rights reserved.