Virginia Caroline Wyse Shipman, 84, of Delta, Ohio, went to be with her Lord, on March 27, 2017, at the Fulton Manor in Wauseon, Ohio.
Virginia was born to Richard and Virginia Hahn Wyse on January 8, 1933, in Swanton, Ohio.
She was the eldest of 3 children. Virginia was a drum majorette and graduated from the Swanton High School. She married Marvin M. Shipman on October 6, 1951. Three children were born to them, Marva, Lon, and Sara.
The Shipman family resided in Kankakee, Illinois, while Marvin built homes and attended Olivet Nazarene University. Virginia had a beautiful soprano voice and loved to sing and play the piano. She was a homemaker while raising her children. The family lived in Gaithersburg, MD, and operated a Nazarene church school nursery. They also lived in Kansas City, MO, as Marvin attended the Nazarene Theological Seminary, before returning to Delta in 1967 and became owners of the Shipman Advertising Company in 1969. She enjoyed driving a school bus for many years for the P-D-Y School system.
Virginia was well known in the community and served in the Rotary and the Delta Chamber of Commerce. Virginia and Marvin volunteered in several mission trips to Central America and the Caribbean. She was a member of the Church of the Nazarene. Despite several major setbacks in life, the arson of Shipman Advertising, a debilitating stroke in 2002, and the loss of her husband in 2005, Virginia was of strong will and character, not letting these difficulties keep her down.
Virginia is survived by children: Marva (James) Taylor, Lon (Martha) Shipman, and Sara (Tracy) Curtis. She has 6 grandchildren: Chris (Tina) Foulks, Kelly Foulks, Lindsay (Cale) Jones, Jason Shipman, Diane (Kenn) Knisley, and Angela (Greg) Billings. Seven great grandchildren are Hunter Foulks, Madeline and Evan Jones, Evelyn, Ayla, and Gretchen Knisley, and Jack Billings.
Virginia is preceded in death by her parents and two brothers, James R. Wyse and Richard “Sonny” Wyse.
Those wishing an expression of sympathy may consider contributions to the Swanton Church of the Nazarene.